Saturday, January 24, 2015

Integrating Student Writing with Art!!

Hello Everyone!  I am Susan, a fifth grade teacher from LopezLandLearners! I am sooo excited to be able to collaborate with such an amazing group of talented educators! 

I don't know about you all, but ART is one of the areas that just doesn't seem to fit in time wise! I love art, I am a terrible artist, but I love giving my students the opportunities to experiment, enjoy, and find joy in the many varied sources and styles of ART. SO I had to solve that problem! 

I start the year by creating construction paper portfolios where my students store their masterpieces from the year.  I remember when I first gave back their beautiful work that had hung in our classroom or in the cafeteria and some students would stuff it in a desk or crumple it up into their backpacks!! As a mother, I cherish those works from my own kids so I invented these portfolios for them to keep and in June they could reflect back on all that we had studied, they had learned, and to see how much they had grown as they headed into jr. high.  Art for our year began there!




During my language arts time, students are in groups and we rotate through centers, we now call them Reading Team.  One center is always about writing: either a particular genre we have been working on, free write, Writer's Workshop, guided writing, etc.  You get my drift!  One of my centers is always, always ART! Whether we are just sketching, guided drawing, using paint, colored pencils, oil pastels, computers, whatever we have in our hands we are ARTISTS during those 24 minutes.  Let me warn you, kids will LOVE YOU forever and ever if you can somehow manage to sneak in some art, even if it is once a week!! They don't care! They aren't condescending, critical, or sometimes even careful! They just love the opportunity to allow their brains to flow in a different direction than academics often allows for.

 Watercolor

Informational Writing

 Chalk Snowmen

   One of my favorites! Have you used Tagxedo? Students love it! I will have to write about that next time! Here a student described characters, setting, and the problem from How to Steal a Dog along with what Georgina, the main character wanted! You have to read that book!




Oil Pastels and Author's Purpose

Writing also holds them accountable, allows me to see if they understood Author's Purpose, how to summarize, character traits, etc. Free writes and Writer's Workshop gives them the opportunity to grow as writers without being told what to write. It's just them and their pencil or iPad and off they go.  We also blog on Kidblogger which they beg to do!
Watercolors, paper dolls, and character I am poems!



City of Oxnard Water Conservation Calendar Contest Winner !!! Woo hoo Ashley!

Narrative Writing about Being a Shoe, Students drew and colored their own shoe, as well.

Perspective Art.. so much FUN!

Sorry to overload your artistic senses.. but seriously, you just HAVE to have ART and WRITING in your classroom.  It will completely change your teaching experience and your students' lives will be so much more enhanced!  So Monday, go get out the paper, and the pencils and let the artists loose!!



11 comments:

  1. Great! I'm trying to rethink my language arts rotations- and now you've given me the inspiration I needed. and you're so right about how the work gets crumpled. Excellent idea making it in a notebook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! Rotations are fun and you get to teach quality mini lessons. My students and I love them!

      Susan
      LopezLandLearners

      Delete
  2. Awesome - I agree - integrating art is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for swinging by! There is an artist in all of us, some are just a bit more uhm, artistic!

      Susan
      LopezLandLearners

      Delete
  3. This is awesome! It makes me want a regular classroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have debated for a few years about having teams in our school where one teacher teaches language arts, the other math, the other science, etc.... this would be one area of discussion that always came up! I would still incorporate art into all of the topics.. my next post will give some specific examples.. so watch for it!

      Susan
      LopezLandLearners

      Delete
  4. Loved how you are engaging your students with art activities that accompany your core instruction. Art is an interest and strength for many children!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved how you are engaging your students with art activities that accompany your core instruction. Art is an interest and strength for many children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sebrina, you are so right! My students love art!!

      Susan
      LopezLandLearners

      Delete
  6. Integrating art with writing is always a great idea! Terrific post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for swinging by! I will be adding to this post soon!

      Susan
      LopezLandLearners

      Delete